Wednesday, August 8, 2012

It's My Turn



Its hard to believe I've almost been out for a month now!  It seems so far away, but at the same time, it seems like it was just yesterday. 
 
On Tuesday, we had P-Day, and E Adams, Kaytich, and Kleinman and I went all around our boundaries in Sao Paulo and checked out the city.  Needless to say, I can't wait to get out into the field.  Also, there was a fireside that night that I think was the best we've had yet.  It started out when a Sister Missionary sang a fantastic arrangement of "Savior, Redeemer of my Soul" with piano accompaniment.  Probably my favorite church song of all time, it really brought the spirit and I could feel it so strong that it was almost tangible.  It was amazing.  In the fireside, we watched Jeffrey R. Holland giving a talk to the Provo MTC back in April or May of 2011.  He really knows how to give a motivational speech/talk!  It really got us all paying attention like none other, and it was probably one of the best talks I have ever heard.  He talked about how we should make sure that we basically serve our missions faithfully, and that after our missions, we can't afford, or have the right to leave the church.  Even with the lights off, I really didn't even feel like falling asleep, and for those of you who know me well, that means it was a good talk.
On Wednesday, we studied all day, then at night, one of the teachers came into our classroom and told us all about his mission, and taught us some Portuguese grammar.  It almost seemed like he was just trying to scare us, since he told us about all of the times he saw gunfire, people getting killed, etc.  He then said we should ask all of the others who went to Brazil if they had similar experiences.  Yup, they all did, but I'm still excited to go, and know that I'll be protected as a servant of the Lord.
On Thursday, we got new roommates!  One is from Argentina, and he did some kind of MMA fighting.  He's a really awesome guy.  The other is from Aracaju, which is a big city in my mission!  As of right now, we can't really understand his Portuguese, since its Northern Brazilian, which apparently is really hard to understand, compared to Sao Paulo Portuguese. 
Remember that game I told you about that our district plays on Monday and Friday nights, to make the CTM fun?  Well, I got picked to eat whatever E. Ralph created.  I ended up eating/drinking it yesterday, but that's coming later :) We also had TRC (where we teach a lesson to an investigator in Portuguese, and its filmed and we get feedback) on Friday.  E Kleinman and I dominated it.  We basically came into the TRC with just a few questions prepared, just about winged it, and solved their problem in like 15 minutes, in and out.  We sometimes try to make it fun here in the CTM, and Adams and Kaytich pretended there was a dog in their TRC, labeled after when me and Kleinman pretended there was a dog when we taught our continuing investigator, Alyson, played by our teacher, Victor.  We also had a good chat with E Martinez on Friday.  He's from Argentina, loves Pokemon, and he's actually #23 in the world in some pokemon tournament thing.  He's fluent in  English, and he talks to us all the time, he's a really awesome guy.  There was also a fire on Friday night, across the street in a construction area.  Not a big deal, it was just crazy to see. 
Saturday began our fast Sunday.  Here in Brazil, or at least in the CTM, they start the fast on Saturday after lunch and go until Sunday lunch.  I think its easier, especially if you load up on Saturday lunch, which you can easily do.  Haha on Saturday I also won speed during gym at half court, made it twice, against 2 people who played college ball.  Kinda silly to be sayin this, but yeah it was a great feeling, especially since I never win at sports usually lol.  Also found out on Saturday that the guy who watches us play b-ball in gym served in Maceio, and we asked him some questions.  Apparently our mission prez tries to keep the apartments up to date, and replaces furniture pretty often.  Also, no soccer (futebol), and the food is chicken, fish, and rice and beans.  Also, not too much of the beach, mostly in the city and inland. 
On Sunday, the big thing was the fast, or domingo de jejum.  E. Martinez said his goodbyes on Sunday, since he left this morning for his mission.  Great guy.  Also watched 17 miracles, which was SO spiritual, especially with Savior Redeemeer of my soul playing near the end and in the credits.  Fantastic movie and song, even more meaningful on a mission. 
Well, running out of time, but quick Monday update.  I "ate crap" as they say in the game where we eat whatever the person puts into a cup.  Mostly mustard and vinegar and other random stuff, but I downed it like a man in like 5 seconds.  Everyone else usually takes at least 3 or 4 mins.  Got man of the day haha. 
Found out next week the Sao Paulo temple is closed, so we're going to one farther away, should be cool.  Oh, this morning I also did sealings for the first time, and in Portuguese.  Long story, I'll send it next week, not time right now, but it was interesting.
I love you all, and see you in 2!
Elder Coon

No comments:

Post a Comment